Process and workflow overview
Texturing Bake compositing and Modelling for Textures
The main goal of this section is to show a process I have leveraged many times to create quality and performative assets quickly.
Utilizing high resolution modelling techniques to create content that doesn't rely on advanced shading and lighting setups.
(but can support them if desired)
Assets presented are all meant to run on several year old mobile devices.
- Project high resolution data onto low res model
Pretty standard game process, except instead of plugging the textures into a shader we will composite them into a single diffuse
- Smooth gradients and color transitions reduce and read very well
- Easier to art direct, Less stylistic diversions, more compartmentalized process than just painting
- Merges old and new processes, Can hook into shader effects if desired
Modelling for texture/Environment art (skipped for time)
Some similar concepts applied to environment art
- Quickly organize whats needed to honor the concept
- Thinking about draw calls and UV layout
Texture layout to completion
Texture rip based on a different concept for an "underground mall"
More examples using these methods